Monday, July 14, 2014

The Mirror

It finally arrived after months of being refigured by Swayze Optical and coated by Spectrum Coatings!

The refiguring took the longest but it looks excellent!  The edges are more uniform and look a lot cleaner than before.  That's the only way I can tell there was work done by just looking at it.  I sent it in for test and refigure because of the stars looking like cotton balls instead of pin points.  The true test will come when I can view with high power eyepieces.  But of course, it looks like it will be cloudy all week.

The coating was quick and only took a few weeks.  I chose the recommended standard aluminum/quartz (pal) 91% coating and it looks excellent too!  Smooth and shiny!  Again the true test will come by viewing but I'm sure everything will turn out better than expected!

I paid for the center spot to be applied but a Catseye triangle was put on instead of the hotspot that I asked for but it was no big deal since I had an extra hotspot.  Before peeling the triangle I checked it with the Catseye template and it was centered perfectly.  I've never tried collimating with the triangle but from what I've read the hotspot is easier and for me the easier the better!

The hotspot being applied


Perfect!


Putting the mirror in the cell.  The lugs of the hotspot are aligned with the primary collimation bolts for ease in adjusting the mirror.  To avoid pinching, the clamps are not touching the surface but are tightened just enough to keep the mirror from falling.


Back on the tube!  Next step, collimating.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment