Monday, September 1, 2014

New Scope! Starblast 4.5

New goto scope the Orion Starblast 4.5!  This scope is easy to carry and setup on the balcony for quick viewing sessions.  I already used it to check out comet C/2014 E2 (Jacques).  The views are great and the mirror cools quick.  But since I like messing with things and making them to my liking, I took it completely apart and did some modifications.



First thing I did was flock the tube.  I used some of the self adhesive flocking paper I had left over from my AD10.  It didn't take much and it was pretty easy to do.




Next was the mirror center spot.  The original circle was pretty well centered but I bought a Farpoint Cheshire that came with a center spot triangle so I decided to use that instead.


The Farpoint centering template didn't have a 4.5 so I used the Catseye template instead.




Now using the Farpoint cheshire I can center the triangle in the cheshire much easier.



The secondary and spider.  

Using a compass to center the spider in the tube.


Putting the primary mirror back in the tube.



All together again and ready for the night sky!












No comments:

Post a Comment